Monday, August 31, 2009

DAY 2 - WELCOME TO THE BUREAUCRACY

So I'm starting to get settled in. Today was not the most exciting day, but I did get a lot of little administrative things done that one must do when moving into a University. Having mastered the bureaucracy of BYU, I've forgotten how difficult it can be to interact with university staff.

For example:
I need a parking permit. After finishing my econ placement exam (more to come on that pleasant experience) I started walking over to the parking office. I was reading my graduate student handbook and saw that I needed my licence plate number to get the permit. That required me to walk all the way back to the dorm (about 1/2 mile) to get it. Since I had nothing else to do I began the walk. After retrieving my licence plate number I went back across campus to the parking office. Upon walking in, I was greeted with a sign informing me that I would need to also bring in the vehicle registration and some sort of online application. I wasn't about to walk back to the car again, so I decided I would do it tomorrow. Nevertheless, I would get the online registration out of the way today. So I needed to find a computer that also had a printer nearby. Well those are hard to come by here. At BYU OIT must have received a government grant to install printers on campus so that no person can be more than 3o feet from a printer. Here, not the case. But before I needed the printer I failed at even finding the online registration. After calling the parking office and getting an earful from a cranky lady I found the site where I was told that my parking request was "inactive" and that I would need to talk to the parking office in person. Well, having used up all of the time I was going to devote to parking, I decided I would take my chances another day and park without a permit until tomorrow. (Notice that their website only displays bicycles. It must be because no one ever successfully gets a parking permit.)


Econ Placement Exam:

Well we could sum this one up in one statement from the witty television show 30 Rock: "What the what?!?" There were nine questions on the exam and if you got a perfect score you were not required to take the class. I had no intention of accomplishing this, I just wanted to avoid being the dumbest one there. Well, I'm not sure that I succeeded. We had 3 hours to answer 9 questions. I used the previously mentioned statement at least 5 times (However I expressed these feelings in the more cordial phrase "I do not know how to solve this problem"). There were 2 that I knew I had learned how to do in the past, so I felt good about that, but overall I'm just hoping that they don't send me an e-mail politely inviting me to "take advantage of the frequency with which the class is offered and sample the course next year having completed a few prerequisites." Apparently tomorrow they are going to send us an e-mail telling us if we need to plan on coming to class. I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.


No comments: