Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BOOZE, BOOZE AND MORE BOOZE + FOOD

Princeton has an unbelievably large endowment. So what do they do with all that money? Buy large amounts of alcohol and food. This week has been full of welcome meetings, orientations, and other beginning of school receptions. A person here could go from party to party and always have a drink in hand. I remarked to one of my friends in the department that our stipends would probably be much larger if the department cut its alcohol budget. He remarked that no one would join the program. So, even though I don't drink, I still benefit from the excellent food that accompanies the alcohol. In fact, I've made it a goal to never buy lunch while here. I already know that I will get free lunch every Thursday and Friday due to subfield seminars. I know that other subfields meet throughout the week and there are frequently leftovers placed in the lounge. Additionally, with this being job talk season there is always lunch being served when people come in to give job talks. I don't think I'm going to have a hard time accomplishing my goal.

No comments: