Wednesday, September 02, 2009

LIFE AS A FUGITIVE FROM THE LAW

What little political theory I have studied has come in handy this week. I remember reading St. Augustine (and watching the moving The Great Debaters) and coming across the famous phrase "an unjust law is no law at all." Well, I've taken this to heart as I participate in my first act of civil disobedience. The Graduate College (the castle/small box that I live in) forbids the use of microwaves. Apparently, New Jersey law forbids any sort of cooking appliance to be used in a "dorm." If people use these items then the building somehow looses its designation as a dorm and a galactic wormhole swallows our reality. Who knows, but apparently its bad. At the same time, the Graduate College provides us with no way to cook food for the time that we are here prior to the start of the fall semester, which is about 3 weeks. So, I must follow my conscience on this one, and it is telling me to cook that delicious Stouffer's lasagna.



A picture of the contraband, which must be hidden in case of "unnanounced inspections." No joke, they really come around during the semester and inspect your room for illegal appliances.

1 comment:

Brea Didenhover Squires said...

Mike, your posts are fantastic, and I am thoroughly enjoying reading them. And, I expect the frequency to continue even after you start classes.