Saturday, October 10, 2009

THERE AND BACK AGAIN

Today I went into the office early to get some homework done. Its amazing how easily I get distracted. Needless to say, I didn't get much homework done. After a few hours of that, I decided I would go for a bike ride. The weather prohibited going earlier but by the afternoon the sky was clear and the air was crisp. Perfect for a fall ride. I had mapped out a route the night before and planned on riding about 25 miles into the countryside north and west of town. I wanted to make it all the way to Pennsylvania, which is actually not that far from here. Well I made it. The picture below shows the Delaware River. That's right, you're looking at Pennsylvania. It looks like a pretty crazy place. This photo is about 1 mile north of where George Washington crossed the very same river a few years earlier.


It tuns out that this bridge is a little further than I had anticipated. Its actually about 20 miles from Princeton, which meant I had 20 miles of backtracking and only about 1 hour of daylight remaining. My advanced math skills told me I would have to ride pretty fast to get home before it got dark. I didn't make it. The last 5 or 6 miles were a little precarious as I rode home in the dark on a pretty busy road coming into Princeton. Moreover, I hadn't eaten much prior to leaving since the dining halls are closed on Saturdays so when I got home I had that feeling where any type of food sounds extremely good. (Think fast Sunday with a 10K thrown in.) The moment I got home I devoured an interesting assortment of snack foods. Dinner consisted of 2 small bags of Doritos and Fritos, several Tootsie Rolls, a bunch of Jujyfruits, some peanuts, beef jerkey, pretzels with peanut butter, and a cup of hot chocolate. About an hour later I had the opposite feeling. Every type of food sounded repulsive.

No comments: