Thursday, October 22, 2009

UNABASHED SELF PROMOTION

I'm learning quickly that it is quite easy to become overwhelmed as a grad student. I look at the work and deadlines I have each week, and I don't feel like I should be stressed, but nevertheless I've felt that way this week. It could be because my first midterms as a Princeton student are right around the corner. It could also be that everyone around me seems overwhelmed and stressed and so I unconsciously think I should be freaking out as well. It could also be that I should genuinely be stressed with the amount of work and high standard faculty have of students here. Anyway, enough of the self pity. To counteract this malaise, I've made sure to keep time in my schedule for running. Its one activity that graduate school can't suck the fun out of. In addition its very easy to get fat as a graduate student. I've heard many stories about people starting grad school, spending all day and night in a small office with no windows, eating lots of pizza, and getting very large. Thus far, I've done a pretty good job of running regularly. I plan to run in a marathon sometime during the summer of 2010 and be well trained for it, unlike my last marathon which I was definitely not adequately prepared for (nevertheless I finished). That being said, I've been keeping my weekly mileage pretty constant and plan to maintain this until well into the winter when I can start to crank up the distance in preparation for the summer. So tonight I ran 6.5 miles around town and managed to maintain a 7:30 pace. I'm pretty pleased with that and thought I would share my success with my faithful reader.

No comments: