Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I've never had such a terrible time booking a flight in my life. I suppose I should expect it to be rough since I am trying to fly out of the country's largest airport at the busiest time of the year. Nevertheless, I venture to say that it is bad business to do any of the following:

- Advertise flights that do not in fact exist. As you can imagine, booking imaginary flights is difficult.

- Change the price of flights every five minutes. I'm not kidding. One flight had 3 different prices ranging from $113 to over $500. This makes finding the least expensive flight a crap shoot.

- Advertise flights that are actually completely booked even though your website says "3 seats remaining at this price"

In addition to this, I also question who is in charge of pricing seats for airlines. How is it that a flight on a Saturday can be less than 300 dollars and the same flight on a Sunday is more than 600 dollars? Demand can't possibly change that dramatically over a 24 hour period.

Nevertheless, I prevailed in booking a flight for Thanksgiving week. I arrive in Salt Lake Tuesday before lunch and leave Saturday night at midnight to arrive at JFK early Sunday morning. I'm extremely excited to go and plan to maximize my time with all of my favorite things (I may have sounded like Oprah there), which are, in no particular order:

My family
Utah
Skiing
Old roomates
Mountains
Streets that follow a grid (or any) pattern
Little America Hotel
KSL Weather Forecasts
My old couch and high definition television

I plan to savor all of them.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I can't wait!!

Gwen said...

Have a good time. I really miss Utah.

Lisa said...

Ah! Mike! I'm glad to find that you have a blog--I'm a blog stalker. I hope that doesn't freak you out.

I hope everything is going well in Princeton! It sounds like...well...about like things are going here, only we have somewhat fewer famous people.