Sunday, November 15, 2009

SOLICITING YOUR OPINION

In an effort to cut costs I have decided to downsize my cell phone plan. I currently have 900 anytime minutes plus unlimited nights and weekends. I never use all 900 minutes. The most I've ever used was this September when I burned up 722 weekday minutes calling every person I knew to help keep me company after the big move to NJ. The month after that I only used 413 and this month I've only used 157. (My plan renews every 28th of the month.) Because of this I have accumulated over 4000 rollover minutes.

My first thought was to downsize to a plan that had around 600 minutes. However, there is only one other available plan and it has 450 anytime minutes. That would be fine with my large mountain of rollover minutes. However, if you downsize, you lose all of your minutes except the number equal to the new amount of minutes you have for each month. (i.e. I would lose all but 450 of my rollover minutes.) I'm still thinking this is a good idea since I rarely go over 450 and if I do, 450 rollover minutes would be plenty to cover it. I would also likely keep building up a few minutes every month, and it saves me $20 per month!

However, I am reluctant to give up what is rightfully mine. So the most logical thing to do before changing plans is to use all 4000 extra minutes this month. Eat that AT&T. Why do I get such pleasure out of this idea? That's roughly 66 hours of talking. So I'm asking for your advice about who I should call for 66 hours. There must be some great good I can do with such an astounding resource. Aren't there charities that get money based on how long people are on the phone with them? Is there some company you despise that you want their phone line to be occupied for an entire week (Southwest Airlines)? Anyway, submit your suggestions quickly as I need to start talking (letting the phone run on) ASAP.

P.S. The person cannot be an AT&T customer as I have free mobile-to-mobile minutes.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

This is Lisa Argyle's husband Dan. I'm not sure if you might have seen this, but it's an explanation of cell phone price strategies. And why they make no sense. I thought you might enjoy it, given your circumstances.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/business/15price.html

By the way, I'd call the White House, or your senator or representative. See who the highest ranking official you can actually talk to on the phone is.

GuateGirl said...

1-866-435-7414. That is the 1800 number for my work. It is for individuals applying for public assistance benefits (food stamps, medicaid and other). If you call on a Monday you can sit on hold for a good 30 minutes. I would love to know what kind of music we play.